Tidewater School's Waldorf approach to education is unique to the southern Maine, Portsmouth New Hampshire, and seacoast area. Enhanced by a highly educated faculty, Tidewater meets each child at their natural stage of development. We serve preschool through 3rd grade. Tidewater has a long term goal of serving preschool through 8th grade.
Students are educated using their head, heart and hands blending rigorous academics with fine, performing and practical arts. Tidewater nurtures a lifetime love of learning for children and their parents. Come to Tidewater School and see why Waldorf education is the fastest growing educational movement in the world.
Tidewater School is one of four Waldorf Schools in Maine and one of nearly 200 Waldorf Schools in North America. It is a unique community of children, teachers and parents who believe education should be a "leading forth" as found in the roots of the Latin word "educare".
We seek to work together to bring forth each child's special gifts and capacities through an artistic method of education that instills strength of will, moral responsibility, and clarity of thought.
The Tidewater School is a thriving community that honors and supports people of all economic classes, races, religions, creeds, nationalities and ethnic origins.
The Tidewater School is committed to providing a holistic education that holds a deep reverence for and understanding of the development of the child as a physical, intellectual, social and spiritual being; making relevant in our times the Waldorf philosophy of Rudolf Steiner.
- Educate and nurture children through eighth grade using Waldorf philosophy and curriculum.
- Create a diverse and supportive community; based on the principles of healthy social development, whose task is to uphold the school physically, educationally, socially and spiritually.
- Provide adult educational opportunities, focusing on parenting, teaching, spirituality and the arts.
- Foster connections with community organizations that resonate with our mission.
- Honor our relationship with the earth by cultivating an awareness of nature and responsibility for the environment.
- Support the fine and practical arts and to promote the notion that artistic activity is necessary for the development of the whole person.